Welcome to our Gear Talk community!

Alex

Administrator
Reaction score
Introduce yourself here and tell us a bit about yourself and your gear! :)

You can read about me in my short bio page here: https://www.geartalk.com/about-us/

While we value every member and want you to be here, we ask that you don't:

- Resort to personal attacks
- Bash other members, musicians or vendors
- Spam (we have a classifieds section if you want to sell personal gear)
- Create multiple accounts
- Discuss religion or politics

Hey Alex, I read your Bio. You might be interested to know that my son as about a 50% loss of hearing and rocks hearing aids himself.

He just got pensioned from the US Army in Germany yesterday. His hearing loss is related to his service, as well as his other medical problems.

He plays guitar. He has always had one since he was about 12, but hasn't really pursued guitar playing until about 4 years ago

His birthday is on the 9th of this month, but he won't be home with us until next month. As he won't be home for Christmas either this year, I'm sending him home with his Xmas and birthday gifts, both guitars, in August.

I'm giving him a Fender Redondo Acoustic Electric and a Gibson SG Standard. He's also going home with another three guitars that I have been holding onto for him for the last two years. They were birthday and Christmas gifts that he wasn't able to take with him overseas.

We got to see him last Christmas for two days. I taught him how to play Kiss' Firehouse. It was the first time we were able to play a song together all the way through. That was a milestone.

Glad to be here and contribute to yet another small forum of musical gear aficionados. The world needs more general gear forums like this.

Some who will come to post here will recognize me from EpiphoneTalk where I've been a member since 2015 and also the forum moderator. I'm also a member in good standing of Strat-Talk since early 2016 and post there as well. I tend to enjoy the openness and friendly camaraderie of smaller forums far more than those with thousands of members, the cliques, the periodic chaos, and "board wars" that happen all too often. In my past I found myself all too often getting sucked into one and later regretting it. Old age has finally settled me down on that score.....LOL.

About me?

I'm 73 years young and have been a semi-pro musician since my high school days nearly 60 years ago. I owned and played plenty of "vintage" Fender and other gear long before it was ever called by that name and it's prices inflated beyond all reason. In those days we had just two types of pro gear, new and used and to be honest none of it was all that special. But had I known what demand would eventually do to prices of '60s gear I would surely have stored some away. No one did and we traded a lot of stuff with one another as well paying little heed to equal market value.

Unlike many I actually started out as a bassist. Within six months of starting to play I became the bassist and lead vocalist in a rock band playing parties, bars, county fairs, high school dances, and eventually performing as the opening act for national recording acts who came to our area. It helped to have managers who were radio DJs. That got us a lot of free publicity for upcoming gigs with airplay of some recordings playing in the background, and much like the Oneders in "That Thing You Do" someone to sign the loan for a full complement of brand new Fender gear.

They say it's difficult to play bass and sing simultaneously. Maybe it is but since no one ever told me that 60 years ago I just went ahead and did it without giving it a thought and I still do. I didn't actually learn to play guitar until about 12-18 months after I began playing bass and though I've played both professionally during my career I still see myself more as a bassist which I prefer. I'm the "groove meister" and everyone is dancing to that groove I lay down. Another secret is bassists always get the best looking women too. But don't tell the guitarists or lead singer that. They'll want us to cut them in on the action and it ain't happening. They consider us an afterthought so we'll just let 'em keep thinking that.

So over 50 plus years of gigging I've been in and out of more bands than I can remember other than the special few that became really good at what we did. It's been a fun ride too getting to know players from some of the top national recording acts and their managers and producers. I may have missed grabbing the golden ring of fame myself but that's OK. I was never into music for the money or the fame but rather as Graham Nash so eloquently put it, it helped us get laid a lot, and that was an important side benefit when you were younger. It really was, trust me. So that's my story. I'm just an aging weekend warrior with too much gear, a lot of experience, and quite a few interesting tales to tell.

FWIW this is what a teen age rock band looked like in the mid '60s.

pipers sons.jpg

pipers sons1.jpg

piperssons3.jpg
The old fella with the earring is that same blonde headed guitarist from the other photos. After all the years we still stay in touch. He's still playing these days but mostly delta blues which is what happens to all of use oldsters when we get past the point of playing Bob Seger and ZZ Top tunes in bars any longer. There will always be the blues and it's truly a welcome home for '60s rockers since so much of the music of that era was based on early blues and so many British Bands cut their teeth playing American Blues and brought it with them during the British Invasion.

Last edited:
Hello fellow new members,I recognize a few of you from Squier Talk and Epi Talk.I suffer from GAS occasionally and have way more guitars than I need. Can’t think of much else to say right now but I’m sure you will be seeing me around.

View attachment 70View attachment 69Now playing nursing homes, but I used to play small local bar&grills for TENS of dollars!
It amazes me that today bands are getting far less than we got 25-30 years ago. The dance clubs are gone and with them the 2-3 night weekend gigs we scored for $1500-$2100 a weekend. Now the only way to get paid like that is to play private gigs like I did back in the 80s. My son-in-law is in a local "Indie" style band. They play "shows" with other bands maybe 5-6 times per year and if they're lucky they'll get $100-$150 for the entire band whereas we used to get that much per man per night. Hell, we started out making that much a night playing HS dances back in the mid '60s and later getting $200-$250 playing gigs where we were the opening act playing just two 45 minute sets. It's pretty sad times for musicians these days.

I was in the AFM on and off for twenty five years. Tuxedo gigs.
Paid well up through the nineties, then less, then more less.

The local club scene was very competitive.
We played dance cover & soul music. Five of us. Wanted $250.
Nobody wanted to pay us that. They’d say, “We’ll pay $150.”
“OK, but can we put out a tip jar?”
“OK.”

After the first time in a club they’d say, “NOW we’ll give you $250!”
Since we’d already established we could put out a tip jar each of us would clear $70-$80 a night in the place!
That was about the top in the area for a non-Union job.

Well, most of you already know me from some of the sister-sites
meanwhile I'm 63, from the southern part of Germany
NFaicWo.jpg

pic taken last year, Shoji Yokouchi (Fujigen founders eldest son) on the left, me in the mid, Shojis wife on the right side

I had been a mod at MLP and €piTalk for some years,
was part of the €pi-Wiki crew
nowadays my goal is Quality over Quantity
the herd contains mostly Fujigen made guitars and some €pis, a PRS SE, a Stagg and a Kala Uke
my skills are well below what my equipment would suggest

Hope I can contribute with some of my 'nonsense' without boring you too much

It's good to see some well known members here.

Last edited:
Hey Alex, I read your Bio. You might be interested to know that my son as about a 50% loss of hearing and rocks hearing aids himself.

He just got pensioned from the US Army in Germany yesterday. His hearing loss is related to his service, as well as his other medical problems.

He plays guitar. He has always had one since he was about 12, but hasn't really pursued guitar playing until about 4 years ago

His birthday is on the 9th of this month, but he won't be home with us until next month. As he won't be home for Christmas either this year, I'm sending him home with his Xmas and birthday gifts, both guitars, in August.

I'm giving him a Fender Redondo Acoustic Electric and a Gibson SG Standard. He's also going home with another three guitars that I have been holding onto for him for the last two years. They were birthday and Christmas gifts that he wasn't able to take with him overseas.

We got to see him last Christmas for two days. I taught him how to play Kiss' Firehouse. It was the first time we were able to play a song together all the way through. That was a milestone.
Hey, Scott! It's great to know that there are other musicians who are also hearing aid wearers. I hope your son is happy with his HAs because I know it can be tricky finding the right ones. It's cool to see that you both have a very good father and son relationship. :)

I was in the AFM on and off for twenty five years. Tuxedo gigs.
Paid well up through the nineties, then less, then more less.

The local club scene was very competitive.
We played dance cover & soul music. Five of us. Wanted $250.
Nobody wanted to pay us that. They’d say, “We’ll pay $150.”
“OK, but can we put out a tip jar?”
“OK.”

After the first time in a club they’d say, “NOW we’ll give you $250!”
Since we’d already established we could put out a tip jar each of us would clear $70-$80 a night in the place!
That was about the top in the area for a non-Union job.
Yup, this is what bands are running into and have for quite awhile. A few years ago the keyboard player I gigged with for 25 years and I set up a duo to play a few open mics at a local brew pub. They asked us if we wanted a regular gig on week nights. We said yeah we'd do an every Wednesday or every Thursday night or both for $150 for starters and if they wanted us to do it with an entire band on weekends we needed $500 for the band and sound. The bar manager said all she could offer on a weeknight was free beer. I laughed and said we don't drink when we play.

Then as for doing regular weekend gigs to build a regular crowd for them she said she'd need to do $5000 worth of business to pay $500 per night. I told her she was crazy. All they served were their own beers and a few bar snacks. No food period. Only a private food truck parked at the curb. There was no way they would ever do $5k on any night unless they charged $25 per beer. I knew the owner of the club we'd played years ago as the house band very well. He was also a client. He worked off of gross of 4x to 5x what he paid a band. During our years there we went from $500-$700 per night as we built up a following and this was a place with a full bar and a kitchen doing $2500-$3500 per night in the early-mid 90s. One reason why that brew pub failed and many others these days is they don't know how to run their clubs at all so they fail.

For many of us who played those dance clubs in the 90s and 00s it's just not worth it to set up an entire 4-6 piece band and play for $50 each. I might do a 2 hour unplugged duo or trio gig for $50 each if the place got good crowds and they tipped but not a 4 hour weekend full bore band gig with drums, backline, and PA. This is a college town and many of these places get good crowds so they can easily afford it. They just don't want to pay it because too many bands playing originals will play for little or no money. Or a promoter books the club, charges a cover, splits that with the club, then pays the bands jack. Those are the type of "shows" my son-in-laws band gets. There's still a market for all of that old time rock and roll and r&b stuff but few if any bands are doing it because clubs won't pay enough to bring in a band to do it. It sucks now.

Welcome to all who have joined our community recently! @3bolt79 @soulman @RustyChops @Eddd @PeteR
Gotta get over here as well and build up some membership. The best way to do that is to keep the lights on and encourage a whole lot of active posting. Glad to see you online Alex and thanks for cranking this place up for us. We should have some fun here.

Glad to be here and contribute to yet another small forum of musical gear aficionados. The world needs more general gear forums like this.

Some who will come to post here will recognize me from EpiphoneTalk where I've been a member since 2015 and also the forum moderator. I'm also a member in good standing of Strat-Talk since early 2016 and post there as well. I tend to enjoy the openness and friendly camaraderie of smaller forums far more than those with thousands of members, the cliques, the periodic chaos, and "board wars" that happen all too often. In my past I found myself all too often getting sucked into one and later regretting it. Old age has finally settled me down on that score.....LOL.

About me?

I'm 73 years young and have been a semi-pro musician since my high school days nearly 60 years ago. I owned and played plenty of "vintage" Fender and other gear long before it was ever called by that name and it's prices inflated beyond all reason. In those days we had just two types of pro gear, new and used and to be honest none of it was all that special. But had I known what demand would eventually do to prices of '60s gear I would surely have stored some away. No one did and we traded a lot of stuff with one another as well paying little heed to equal market value.

Unlike many I actually started out as a bassist. Within six months of starting to play I became the bassist and lead vocalist in a rock band playing parties, bars, county fairs, high school dances, and eventually performing as the opening act for national recording acts who came to our area. It helped to have managers who were radio DJs. That got us a lot of free publicity for upcoming gigs with airplay of some recordings playing in the background, and much like the Oneders in "That Thing You Do" someone to sign the loan for a full complement of brand new Fender gear.

They say it's difficult to play bass and sing simultaneously. Maybe it is but since no one ever told me that 60 years ago I just went ahead and did it without giving it a thought and I still do. I didn't actually learn to play guitar until about 12-18 months after I began playing bass and though I've played both professionally during my career I still see myself more as a bassist which I prefer. I'm the "groove meister" and everyone is dancing to that groove I lay down. Another secret is bassists always get the best looking women too. But don't tell the guitarists or lead singer that. They'll want us to cut them in on the action and it ain't happening. They consider us an afterthought so we'll just let 'em keep thinking that.

So over 50 plus years of gigging I've been in and out of more bands than I can remember other than the special few that became really good at what we did. It's been a fun ride too getting to know players from some of the top national recording acts and their managers and producers. I may have missed grabbing the golden ring of fame myself but that's OK. I was never into music for the money or the fame but rather as Graham Nash so eloquently put it, it helped us get laid a lot, and that was an important side benefit when you were younger. It really was, trust me. So that's my story. I'm just an aging weekend warrior with too much gear, a lot of experience, and quite a few interesting tales to tell.

FWIW this is what a teen age rock band looked like in the mid '60s.

View attachment 60

View attachment 61

View attachment 62
The old fella with the earring is that same blonde headed guitarist from the other photos. After all the years we still stay in touch. He's still playing these days but mostly delta blues which is what happens to all of use oldsters when we get past the point of playing Bob Seger and ZZ Top tunes in bars any longer. There will always be the blues and it's truly a welcome home for '60s rockers since so much of the music of that era was based on early blues and so many British Bands cut their teeth playing American Blues and brought it with them during the British Invasion.
Now I know why the Doors didn’t have a bassist .

I was invited to the forum by my buddy @3bolt79. I've long admired guitar players such as Eddie Van Halen, George Harrison, Joe Strummer, Brian Setzer and Billie Joe Armstrong. I feel it's a combination of their skills, the way they play and how they present their playing; it's sorta hard to explain.

I'm a true beginner player and by that I mean, a true beginner player. I've purchased a few lower end guitars, though I admit that some of my purchases were impulses, I based it on my interest in the historic context of certain model lines and appearance.

I've hit the brakes on purchases though, until I'm able to actually play them! I look forward to reading and learning on the forum.

I was invited to the forum by my buddy @3bolt79. I've long admired guitar players such as Eddie Van Halen, George Harrison, Joe Strummer, Brian Setzer and Billie Joe Armstrong. I feel it's a combination of their skills, the way they play and how they present their playing; it's sorta hard to explain.

I'm a true beginner player and by that I mean, a true beginner player. I've purchased a few lower end guitars, though I admit that some of my purchases were impulses, I based it on my interest in the historic context of certain model lines and appearance.

I've hit the brakes on purchases though, until I'm able to actually play them! I look forward to reading and learning on the forum.
Welcome! I'm glad you made it. Let me tell the rest of you that Strummer has quite good taste in guitars. I did some work for him last year and he was responsible for introducing me to the world of Gretsch.

Strummer is going to get his first guitar lesson tomorrow!

Hey all, pleased to meet you and be a member of these forums.

Unlike most of you, I'm guessing, I have very little stage experience and my playing is average at best. Spend most of my time trying to write original music and have a bit of a GAS problem, so I have far too many guitars and amps than I really need.

Rocking out these days on two guitars, one an ESP RZK-II and the other an ESP E-II MK-I, which are signature guitars of Richard Z Kruspe of Rammstein and Mille Petrozza of Kreator. Have a few other guitars as well, a Ltd JH-600EC (Jeff Hanneman signature), a Caparison Horus HGS, an OD Guitars Venus 6 and a Strandberg Boden 8.

Seriously thinking of thinning the herd.

Amp-wise I just keep pluggin into whatever I feel like hearing that day, so it's a choice between an Engl Savage 120, an Engl Fireball 100, a Marshall JVM410H, a Mesa Boogie Quad that goes into a Rectifier 2:100 power amp, a PRS Archon 25-watt combo, or a VHT Valvulator GP3 preamp. I also have an Axe FXIII, which I mainly use for recording cause I can't mic a cabinet worth a damn.

Look forward to learning more about your setups and how you're using them in the days, weeks and months ahead.

Hey all, pleased to meet you and be a member of these forums.

Unlike most of you, I'm guessing, I have very little stage experience and my playing is average at best. Spend most of my time trying to write original music and have a bit of a GAS problem, so I have far too many guitars and amps than I really need.

Rocking out these days on two guitars, one an ESP RZK-II and the other an ESP E-II MK-I, which are signature guitars of Richard Z Kruspe of Rammstein and Mille Petrozza of Kreator. Have a few other guitars as well, a Ltd JH-600EC (Jeff Hanneman signature), a Caparison Horus HGS, an OD Guitars Venus 6 and a Strandberg Boden 8.

Seriously thinking of thinning the herd.

Amp-wise I just keep pluggin into whatever I feel like hearing that day, so it's a choice between an Engl Savage 120, an Engl Fireball 100, a Marshall JVM410H, a Mesa Boogie Quad that goes into a Rectifier 2:100 power amp, a PRS Archon 25-watt combo, or a VHT Valvulator GP3 preamp. I also have an Axe FXIII, which I mainly use for recording cause I can't mic a cabinet worth a damn.

Look forward to learning more about your setups and how you're using them in the days, weeks and months ahead.
Welcome! Those are some seriously nice amps you have. I sold my last shredder today, an HM Strat. I will be looking for a Jackson or a Charvel for my next one. I'm going to hold off for awhile though. I've bought too many guitars this year, and have sold off a bunch

I'm Robb, a retired cop. I've played in multiple bands from 1969 (aged 9) up to 1997
When I stopped playing professional, raised my family with my music and acquired many guitars and amps even owned a music store/museum for 13 years, still own 95 guitars and 30 something amps. Life is good !

Back