Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I like to warm up my socks in the microwave before I wear them

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
Are you someone who warms up before you play? Do you just dive right in and start jamming right away?

For me, I have a warm-up/stretch routine that I do every time before I start playing. I can notice a difference between when I warm up vs. when I just jump right in. Warming up makes everything feel much looser and "healthier" than not doing anything at all. Some guys will say it doesn't matter, however in my own experience I notice a huge difference. 10 minutes of preventative maintenance is better than months (or years) of pain and injury. Also, practising in shorter sessions (two or three hours) is better than a long seven or eight hour marathon. You retain more of what you are learning and it's also better for the body (hands, arms).

Scales and arpeggios my man, scales and arpeggios. When feeling particularly spunky I throw in some atonal wonderment that always warned those around me of my mood...

Due to a tendon injuries I only can play ten to 15 minutes at a time right now, so if you want to, you could say I don't get past the warm up.

Due to a tendon injuries I only can play ten to 15 minutes at a time right now, so if you want to, you could say I don't get past the warm up.
I'm sorry to hear that my friend! I hope you recover quickly. Tendon injuries are no joke, I've had tendinitis a few times from weight lifting back a number of years ago. It isn't fun.

Warm ups, always, on both guitar and bass. Since I'm always picking up a different instrument with a different neck profile I feel it takes time to get comfortable with it again.

Warm ups, always, on both guitar and bass. Since I'm always picking up a different instrument with a different neck profile I feel it takes time to get comfortable with it again.
Absolutely! Not to mention different string tensions (electric vs acoustic + added string height) that need to be considered. You shouldn't pick up an acoustic and start ripping on it right away, you could potentially hurt something.

I'll warm up at home before a show, for at least an hour or so over the course of the day. I play much better live when I do this.

Back