Hello from the Great White North

rockandroll

Reaction score
Howdy!

Joining from Manitoba, Canada - long time musician getting back into playing/recording after a long time away.

I am originally a drummer, started playing in high school back in the late 80s. Ended up joining a "band" - a 3 piece unit that just played cover tunes in practice rooms and at friends' houses. Although we did play one actual gig, a Quinceanera. I was the only non-Mexican in the band, so I was the odd one at this show. We had, I think, 5 or 6 songs... Sunshine of Your Love, Iron Man, Cocaine ... the only other song I remember was Wipeout. My drum solo was banging, too. That song got requested twice more, and we played it and felt like rock gods because people were asking us to play [someone else's] song LOL. Great night... I ate menudo for the first time, got flirted with by a few pretty senoritas, and was able to sneak some beers with the guys shooting shotguns in the parking lot.

One of my aunts heard that I was in a band, and I'd expressed interest in learning guitar, so she gave me her old Tiesco guitar and 10-watt amp. Her and her husband had just bought a brand new Les Paul Studio, so had no need for the "cheap" Tiesco. I picked up some chord books and found that I didn't like them. I started figuring out how to play the songs I listened to, by ear... basically, bass lines on a guitar at first LOL. But I learned a couple easy chords, and got to where I could play along with most things. I wrote my first song on that guitar.

Fast forward a lot... I went to join a band that was being put together by a guitarist and bassist/vocalist. They were looking for another guitarist and a drummer. I didn't have a kit at that time, and was doing quite well at guitar, so I went down to jam with them. They had a kit there that the guitarist had bought for the band, since most drummers around us at that time were just like me... no kit LOL. [By the way... a driver without a car is actually a walker - a drummer without a kit is just someone who knows how to play drums, amirite?] I was trying to show them a song idea that I had been working on, and was describing the guitar part I played, as well as the beat I was hearing in my head, and they just didn't get it. I showed the guitarist something that I wanted him to play, and then sat down at the kit to show them what I was talking about, and we started jamming it. A few minutes later, we stopped... they looked at each other and each said some version of "...and you want to play guitar?!" That settled it, I was their new drummer.

I kept playing the guitar, recording my own music through the 90s on my Tascam Porta07. I didn't have a drum kit for part of that time, so I'd improvise... mic'd drumsticks on books, pillows, carpet... whatever sound I needed. I'd sample drum fills from music I listened to and (on cassette tapes, which is super difficult and time consuming) build out a loop that was like 5 minutes long so I could jam my songs along with it. I did this with the drum beat from Enigma's Sadeness.. used that on a few songs, actually. But I always kept playing the guitar in my experimentations.

Back then, I had a Charvel CX-291, in red, that seriously needed a setup (although I didn't realize that at the time, being too uninformed). Someone stole it, and I've always missed that guitar.

Fast forward to now, I've started getting back into making music, and back into guitar with a vengeance. My "family" presently consists of:
- 2010 Epiphone Limited Edition Dot (vintage sunburst) (swapped pickguard and Tusq nut)
- Epiphone Les Paul Classic (honeyburst)
- Kramer VT-211S (teal) (swapped pickguard, etc)
- Squier Sonic Tele (California Blue) (swapped pickguard)
- Epiphone SG Standard (cherry)
- 2006 Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet G5238T
- 1969 Framus Texan 12-string
- Denver 12-string
- GWL acoustic
- Jay Turser acoustic (campfire guitar)
- Jay Turser 3/4 P-style bass

Super happy to be here. Now, let's get to the pictures!!
(didn't bother w/ the GWL, Denver, or Turser models)
1720495678219.png
1720495784557.png
1720495891844.png
1720496012423.png
1720497053155.png
1720497079938.png
1720497303960.png

and finally, a picture of my long-ago stolen Charvel and I, "back in the day":
1720498501825.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, and I really dig your EPI Classic. Such a great color.
Thanks! And I just noticed that I called it a 'Custom', when it's definitely a 'Classic' like you mentioned... guess I shouldn't post while I'm drinking rye, huh!

Don't seem to be able to edit that original post, but if a Mod wants to change that, I'll sound less stupid LOL

Thanks! And I just noticed that I called it a 'Custom', when it's definitely a 'Classic' like you mentioned... guess I shouldn't post while I'm drinking rye, huh!

Don't seem to be able to edit that original post, but if a Mod wants to change that, I'll sound less stupid LOL
Ok, I fixed that for you. There is a certain amount of time where you can edit your own posts. I'm not sure, but I think it may be 24 hours. Another mod will correct me if I'm wrong. But no worries, we knew what you meant.

Last edited:
thanks @3bolt79, appreciate the assist!

And today I've added another to the stable:
View attachment 160
This is seriously the nicest acoustic I'll likely ever own.
Wow at this thing!
Epiphone guitars are seriously underrated. I had a dove at one time. It was pretty good. It had better electronics than the hummingbird model several years ago.

I have a Taylor now, that I bought used. I just sold my Ovation, well just because there is no comparison. I also have a beat up 1983 Ibanez AE405TV, and a recent IBG Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string. That's it on Acoustic Steel Strings for me.

How many body organs does one have to sacrifice up north to get something like say a Gibson SG Standard? I just got one here in the states with a small discount back in February for $1649.00. brand new.

I haven't been up to Canada for 20 years. I used to go up to raid the record/CD shops. I'd find all sorts of cool stuff that was either not sold in the US or was out of print. All of my April Wine CD's came from a shopping spree in Victoria. Same with a lot of 80's bands I can't find here.

How many body organs does one have to sacrifice up north to get something like say a Gibson SG Standard? I just got one here in the states with a small discount back in February for $1649.00. brand new.
Most recent price I can find at our version of Guitar Center (Long & McQuade), you'd be looking at about $2400. But that includes a gig bag LOL.

I wouldn't mind paying $200 more for a Standard SG with a hardcase, like the 61. But that would monkey with their price structure.

I don't see the Standard as less of a guitar than the 61. It has better tuners, a better neck joint, and a thicker neck. All plusses in my book.

I don't even mid the 490 pickups. The DCR is pretty similar to the Angus Young signature pickups. I also like the big pickguard.

New family member!
1725421708035.png
This thing is super sweet, great setup out of the box, sounds wicked unplugged - really rings. Can't wait to find some time tomorrow to plug 'er in and start really stretching those strings!

Also for Canadians, as of this writing, it's on sale at L&M, just under $500. An electric 12-string for less than $500 - why are you still reading this? I also picked up the Yorkville Thunderbird bass case for it. Great fit, and with the guitar being on sale, it's almost like getting the case for free LOL

UEyIrgs.gif

Last edited:

How many body organs does one have to sacrifice up north to get something like say a Gibson SG Standard? I just got one here in the states with a small discount back in February for $1649.00. brand new…
I’m in Northern California.
This new “demo” I got from Sweetwater a month or so back for $1199.
Nothing wrong at all.
IMG_6764.jpeg
A lot of prices at Sweetwater have dropped $200. Trend?

Back