Eastman Acoustic Guitars

Gemini

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone ever heard and or played an Eastman E40D acoustic guitar? I'm thinking of getting one, but no music stores in this town has one, so it's a risk just ordering one without being able to try it out myself. They kind of look like a Martin D42, but does it sound like one? I have only had you tube videos to go by. I hope this is the appropriate place to start this thread.....

Yep, you're in the right section. Have you called Artie to ask about it? Maybe he can put you in touch with the rep. Also, you might ask @PeteR if FGN makes anything similar.

Yep, you're in the right section. Have you called Artie to ask about it? Maybe he can put you in touch with the rep. Also, you might ask @PeteR if FGN makes anything similar.
Yeah, I thought about talking to Artie, but I dread hearing his pontificating, and I'm pretty sure he would have a lot to say if he knew i'm thinking about selling the Eastman E10D that I bought there, plus the Taylor that i also bought there.... That's why I haven't talked to him yet. He probably wouldn't want to take those guitars as partial payment. He always wants cash. Anyway, who is Pete R, and what is FGN?

Yeah, I thought about talking to Artie, but I dread hearing his pontificating, and I'm pretty sure he would have a lot to say if he knew i'm thinking about selling the Eastman E10D that I bought there, plus the Taylor that i also bought there.... That's why I haven't talked to him yet. He probably wouldn't want to take those guitars as partial payment. He always wants cash. Anyway, who is Pete R, and what is FGN?
Oh, I just figured out who Pete R is... I thought if anyone on this site has experience with the E40D, they might respond here....

you might ask @PeteR if FGN makes anything similar.
sadly not

Anyway, who is Pete R, and what is FGN?
I am the crazy FGN-Fanboy from Germany,

What is the reason you want an E40D? Eastman tends to have a more "modern" tone and won't really resemble a "Martin". If you want something similar, try a Recording King RD-342. They are built like pre-war Martins at a really decent price. I have not played an Eastman E40D, but I own a Recording King RD-318 (pre-war D-18 clone) and I had a guy at my local guitar shop tell me that a Martin HD-35 doesn't even come close to my RK, meaning my RD-318 is way more resonant and punchy than a guitar that costs 4x as much. I'm just suggesting this because maybe you would regret selling your E10D and Taylor.

Recording King RD-342
Screenshot 2024-10-21 2.56.26 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-21 2.56.10 AM.png

Last edited:
What is the reason you want an E40D? Eastman tends to have a more "modern" tone and won't really resemble a "Martin". If you want something similar, try a Recording King RD-342. They are built like pre-war Martins at a really decent price. I have not played an Eastman E40D, but I own a Recording King RD-318 (pre-war D-18 clone) and I had a guy at my local guitar shop tell me that a Martin HD-35 doesn't even come close to my RK, meaning my RD-318 is way more resonant and punchy than a guitar that costs 4x as much. I'm just suggesting this because maybe you would regret selling your E10D and Taylor.

Recording King RD-342
View attachment 1391View attachment 1392

I really appreciate your message... Well, after looking at the prices of even used Martins, I realized it is totally out of my reach now, unless I win the lottery or find a part time job, which I've been looking for. I'm retired, and I might be considered too old, even though nobody believes me when I tell them my age. I have listened to many videos demo-ing the E40D, and I've read a ton of reviews from people who bought one. I have not seen any negative reviews at all. I have also heard some comparisons between Eastmans and Martins. The Eastmans do not sound like a Martin, but they do sound REALLY good. I have heard some good things about Recording King guitars, too, but no music stores around here have any. The Eastman build quality is impeccable, and I have seen them in person, so I feel more confident in their reliability. I just bought the Eastman E10D, thinking I would really like a D18e style guitar, but I found out after playing it for a while, that I really prefer the sound of Rosewood. There's a music store seller on Reverb who has given me a $500 discount offer on a brand new E40D, and a guy is coming over tomorrow to look at my E10D. If all goes well and he buys it, I may not have to sell my Taylor... Boy, this is turning into a book! 🙂 Anyway, thanks again. I'm going to check out that Recording King RD-342!

I really appreciate your message... Well, after looking at the prices of even used Martins, I realized it is totally out of my reach now, unless I win the lottery or find a part time job, which I've been looking for. I'm retired, and I might be considered too old, even though nobody believes me when I tell them my age. I have listened to many videos demo-ing the E40D, and I've read a ton of reviews from people who bought one. I have not seen any negative reviews at all. I have also heard some comparisons between Eastmans and Martins. The Eastmans do not sound like a Martin, but they do sound REALLY good. I have heard some good things about Recording King guitars, too, but no music stores around here have any. The Eastman build quality is impeccable, and I have seen them in person, so I feel more confident in their reliability. I just bought the Eastman E10D, thinking I would really like a D18e style guitar, but I found out after playing it for a while, that I really prefer the sound of Rosewood. There's a music store seller on Reverb who has given me a $500 discount offer on a brand new E40D, and a guy is coming over tomorrow to look at my E10D. If all goes well and he buys it, I may not have to sell my Taylor... Boy, this is turning into a book! 🙂 Anyway, thanks again. I'm going to check out that Recording King RD-342!
I can vouch for the quality of Recording King since I have owned my RD-318 for a while now, and they are built like tanks. The fit and finish is flawless and the set up when I got mine was perfect. I don't think you would at all be disappointed in the Recording King. They are on par with guitars that cost 4x as much. They also make the RD-328 which is essentially the same guitar as the RD-342 just without the abalone rosette and the binding along the neck, etc. It's a Rosewood/Adirondack dread and there seem to be more reviews and tone samples for it as compared to the RD-342, but as I stated, they are the same guitar. The only big difference is the nut width. The RD-328 has a 1 11/16 nut and the RD-342 has a 1 3/4 nut respectively.

Here is JP Cormier comparing the Martin D-28 and the RK RD-328

Back