Wraparound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castodader

Reaction score
I am not a big believer in all the minute changes equal different tone. From my perspective, there is little or no change in most guitars with hardware pieces changed out. Obviously, pickups can totally change the sound of a guitar but what else....

It could just be my imagination but to me guitars with a wraparound tailpiece have more midrange in their tone. I only have a couple of guitars with wraparound so not close to a good sample size, but still, sounds more midrange-ish. I dig it. I especially like the extra heft on solos.......that may or may not be there.

My Drummer son has plenty of drums and several guitars, he is going to give me another Epi with a wraparound so I will have another one to contemplate. It's nice that when he decides he does not want to put in the work to get a guitar up and running, he gives it to me. :lol:

smart lad.
I do not have an instrument with a wrap around so I'm of no use. I did however notice a distinct difference in the flavor of the sound of my harttail guitars as opposed to the tremolo variety. I'd say that the hardtail had a predominantly deeper sound, favoring the lower and lower to mid frequencies.

I don't know about how it plays on the tone or if it does, but I love a wraparound for its simplicity. Got it on 4 guitars, two Epi LP Special, one LP Jr and one PRS SE Soapbar. I also have a PRS SE ZM with a wraparound bridge with adjustable saddles, which being a multi pieces bridge, doesn't to me count as a real wraparound. I mostly see a wraparound associated with P90s, that might be what you hear. I also top wrap all my guitars with a stop tail.

I tried wrap around a few times and didn't notice any tonal change but I suspect if you don't change strings 'like for like' (brand new strings with and then brand new strings without) that right there could be what people hear as far as difference. Just my thoughts btw.

It did feel different though and that I didn't care for.

My pondering was regarding THE ONLY AND ONE, BELOVED BY PEOPLE THAT DIG Jrs and Specials and similar that have a single piece bridge. Hence my use of the word wraparound. :lol:

I dig juniors. I may get a Gibson in the near future.
I don't have the cash to get a Gibson Jr. I think it's a testament to Jrs and Specials that Gibson can make reissues and charge a lot and still sell a bunch of them. The glued in neck Jrs in the Epiphone line is just a white Billy Joe model and a Tobacco Burst. Pretty sure they keep TV Yellow out of the reasonably priced models on purpose. GRRRRRRR

I tried wrap around a few times and didn't notice any tonal change but I suspect if you don't change strings 'like for like' (brand new strings with and then brand new strings without) that right there could be what people hear as far as difference. Just my thoughts btw.

It did feel different though and that I didn't care for.
A little slinkier right? That’s what I noticed when I wrapped the stop bar on one of my -335’s.

I didn’t notice much of a change in tone, although that particular guitar has a massive and deep bottom end already. A very warm guitar.

A little slinkier right? That’s what I noticed when I wrapped the stop bar on one of my -335’s.

I didn’t notice much of a change in tone, although that particular guitar has a massive and deep bottom end already. A very warm guitar.
Slinkier! Perfect description, to me it didn't feel right so I went back to the regular way.

Yes, but this is a social media, so who cares
Well, when a person starts a discussion regarding a particular piece of equipment, it is usually to get impressions, opinions, and experiences of other players. If we can't stay on topic, there is little or no information exchanged.

Well, when a person starts a discussion regarding a particular piece of equipment, it is usually to get impressions, opinions, and experiences of other players. If we can't stay on topic, there is little or no information exchanged.
But you didn't specify bridges in your initial post you just said tailpiece so don't get mad at those who took the time to give you feedback.

But you didn't specify bridges in your initial post you just said tailpiece so don't get mad at those who took the time to give you feedback.
The word wraparound applies to ... a wraparound bridge.
The words top wrapped applies to ... a tail piece with its strings wrapped on top.
Not semantics ... guitar lingo.

So he's right on that, but maybe inexperienced in the way forum threads most always eventually show an amount of derailing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back