Using Your Ear

Also use all the knobs on all your gear, that way you will probably never need to buy more gear.
I wish that worked. I’ve sold a bunch in the last few months and I still have 23. But I only have two amps for guitars and one bass amp.

Tip to a new player, or intermediate…

Develop your ear as much as possible. It’ll be your greatest tool, despite your level of theory knowledge.
+1
Remember that tabs are not always correct, or available, guys on youtube aren't always correct, and even if you can read, sheet music is becoming more and more scarce. Sometimes all you can do is listen on repeat and figure it out on your own.

+1
Remember that tabs are not always correct, or available, guys on youtube aren't always correct, and even if you can read, sheet music is becoming more and more scarce. Sometimes all you can do is listen on repeat and figure it out on your own.
It is now easy to slow down the music without altering its tuning.

It's amazing how much better your ear is, when you know even just a little bit of theory. ;)

Learn the major scale, learn to count each note 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and at least know what your 1 3 and 7 are doing. Honestly, that's a lot of it right there.

Back