Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I prefer guitars with no necks

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
Are you a fan of thinner neck profiles or thicker/fatter neck profiles? Maybe something in between? For me, I like thin and fast necks.

So here is thickest. Brian May Replica. 1 1/4 inch thick at the Zero Fret.

IMG_1004.jpeg

Thinnest. Aria Pro II Knight Warrior. I believe it's Less than .8 at the first. But that is with the strings on that I measured a long time ago.

IMG_1019.jpeg

I prefer them on the thinner side, no shredder-type, no baseball-bat type for me
something in the range of '60s slim taper type'

^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

And friend and I did a swap (for keeps) a number of times.
Memorable: Gibson Les Paul CS R6. Huge C neck! Loved it. But the guitar itself was pretty inert. He said it worked great in big loud venues. Being just a little fish in a big pond, I never found out. Offed it. (n)

Last edited:
I suspect that for many, particularly those who employ thumb-over, a thinner neck is desirable. I didn't play that way, quite frankly...I can't figure out how anyone can play that way... (I'd have received a serious jab from my first teacher's baton followed bya smack across the knuckles had I'd ever attempted such in his presence)

I did hear from many of the players which I encountered in my travels, that those who play fatter necks are less prone to developing carpal tunnel - that can be attributed to their guitar playing - than those who play thinner necks.

Whether this is true or not I am certain I'll learn.

I've played both and prefer the fatter.

I suspect that for many, particularly those who employ thumb-over, a thinner neck is desirable. I didn't play that way, quite frankly...I can't figure out how anyone can play that way... (I'd have received a serious jab from my first teacher's baton followed bya smack across the knuckles had I'd ever attempted such in his presence)

I did hear from many of the players which I encountered in my travels, that those who play fatter necks are less prone to developing carpal tunnel - that can be attributed to their guitar playing - than those who play thinner necks.

Whether this is true or not I am certain I'll learn.

I've played both and prefer the fatter.
I sometimes use my thumb to mute the top string but I rarely, if ever fret with my thumb and I love my thin necks. Carpal tunnel is one of those things I think, where if you take preventative measures, you can help keep it at bay, but if it finds you, it finds you. Warming up is crucial before you even start playing anything.

1723374766832.png

Back