Hot peppers?

TheVillageGrouch

Reaction score
Anyone fancy a hot pepper? Any growers here?

My four plants were all stunted early on and will not produce well. Last year was worse.

What you see here are two Devil's Tongue pods. A local cultivar that started as habanero in the 90s.

I've eaten one thus far, was proper hot. Had to have been over 100k SHU. I will also get some Jalapeños (let them turn RED!!), Aji Amarillo and Aji Mango.

IMG2868s.jpg

Last edited:
I used to be able to eat peppers like this when I was younger. No way my internals can handle it nowadays. I still love the flavors, just not the heat. Those are interesting peppers, I'd be curios as to whether they have a nice flavor, or are just pure heat.

I used to be able to eat peppers like this when I was younger. No way my internals can handle it nowadays. I still love the flavors, just not the heat. Those are interesting peppers, I'd be curios as to whether they have a nice flavor, or are just pure heat.
They are habanero-like with a distinct fruitiness common with that type of pod.

I love me some spicy peppers! I've always wanted to try the Carolina Reaper but I never see any in my area (Canada). I like to make my own homemade salsa with hot peppers. Right now I've got some Scorpion peppers that I'm gonna make some salsa with.

I love me some spicy peppers! I've always wanted to try the Carolina Reaper but I never see any in my area (Canada). I like to make my own homemade salsa with hot peppers. Right now I've got some Scorpion peppers that I'm gonna make some salsa with.
Reapers have a great flavor when used sparingly. I bought this box of stupid in 2021. Once was enough. The Trinidad Sweets were almost edible whole. The bubble gum were mislabeled - were likely Jay's Scorpion Ghost.

If you want to actually taste the flavor of this class of pods without pain, a sliver or three in a bowl of oatmeal works well.

IMG0273s.jpg

Reapers have a great flavor when used sparingly. I bought this box of stupid in 2021. Once was enough. The Trinidad Sweets were almost edible whole. The bubble gum were mislabeled - were likely Jay's Scorpion Ghost.

If you want to actually taste the flavor of this class of pods without pain, a sliver or three in a bowl of oatmeal works well.

View attachment 859
I wouldn't be able to use up a box that big. They would start going bad before I got a chance to use them all!

I wouldn't be able to use up a box that big. They would start going bad before I got a chance to use them all!
Ate as much as practical, gave some away, vacuum sealed froze / dried the remainder. Still have some of the dried.

We used to do hot peppers in my friend group. Now it just sounds like pointless pain.
I find it a challenge to add just enough of a given heat level in various foods to make it fun, just before too hot is reached. Do that enough and you start to build a tolerance. Stop for a while and you cannot handle stupid hot - where I am now.

2021-22 I developed a mild tolerance. That was enough. I have never or would not enter a contest for the hottest.

All this talk of peppers is making me hungry….
I have a sickly looking Aji Mango plant that has offered up some hot tasty morsels. Can't say they taste like mango, but their is a pronounced tropical fruit flavor that is irresistible. Unlike any pod I ever had. Hotter than most Serranos, roughly Cayenne level heat.

First time growing this variety, will surely do so again. ~2" / 5 cm.

IMG2901.jpg

Back