Hi to all from Ukraine!

VladHawk

Reaction score
Hello, my name's Vlad, I'm 31, and I live in Kharkiv in the northeastern part of Ukraine. I've never played any instruments before, but I've always wanted to, so I've decided it's about time to learn to play guitar. Actually, I don't even have a guitar yet. I want to learn to play classical guitar because its sound reminds me of a lute, and I've always liked tavern music and the fantasy atmosphere

Welcome Vlad! I'm glad you made it here. I was looking at the Cort AC100 that you were looking at, and vs the Yamaha, I think that would be a fine 1st classical guitar for you. Probably better than the Yamaha if the Cort has a truss rod.

Let us know when you get one, and also check out what strings are available to you locally in medium tension. Don't buy strings from Amazon, eBay, or Ali Express as you will likely be getting low quality counterfeits from them. Especially if you order from Ali Express or eBay. Amazon is kind of a Turkey Shoot.

If you have to buy them from Amazon, make sure that they are being sold by Amazon, and not some third party seller.

There are some things that you will want to have when you get your new guitar.

1. A clip on headstock tuner and an extra battery for it
2. A set or two of extra strings in medium tension
3. A small bottle of fretboard oil for guitars or a small bottle of bore oil for woodwind instruments
4. A ruler that is 12 inches long or a straight edge of similar length
5. A 6 inch ruler that measures in millimeters
6. A peg winder
7. A small Phillips screwdriver.

If you are able to get international mail from the United States, I can send you most of what was listed above. I can't sent batteries or liquids or the ruler due to size. If you can get international mail I can send you the other stuff. Just send me your name and address in a private message.

Scott

Last edited:
Welcome Vlad! I'm glad you made it here. I was looking at the Cort AC100 that you were looking at, and vs the Yamaha, I think that would be a fine 1st classical guitar for you. Probably better than the Yamaha if the Cort has a truss rod.

Let us know when you get one, and also check out what strings are available to you locally in medium tension. Don't buy strings from Amazon, eBay, or Ali Express as you will likely be getting low quality counterfeits from them. Especially if you order from Ali Express or eBay. Amazon is kind of a Turkey Shoot.

If you have to buy them from Amazon, make sure that they are being sold by Amazon, and not some third party seller.

There are some things that you will want to have when you get your new guitar.

1. A clip on headstock tuner and an extra battery for it
2. A set or two of extra strings in medium tension
3. A small bottle of fretboard oil for guitars or a small bottle of bore oil for woodwind instruments
4. A ruler that is 12 inches long or a straight edge of similar length
5. A 6 inch ruler that measures in millimeters
6. A peg winder
7. A small Phillips screwdriver.

If you are able to get international mail from the United States, I can send you most of what was listed above. I can't sent batteries or liquids or the ruler due to size. If you can get international mail I can send you the other stuff. Just send me your name and address in a private message.

Scott
Thank you for the advice; I'll let you know when I get a guitar. That would be very kind of you. I guess the mail here is among the best in the world, it even works in places close to the frontline. My friend is a soldier, and he regularly receives parcels from other countries.

I've heard some people use apps on their smartphones as tuners, I assume they're not very accurate?

Thank you for the advice; I'll let you know when I get a guitar. That would be very kind of you. I guess the mail here is among the best in the world, it even works in places close to the frontline. My friend is a soldier, and he regularly receives parcels from other countries.

I've heard some people use apps on their smartphones as tuners, I assume they're not very accurate?
Well, yeah they can be good. But it's kind of difficult to try to use a mic on your phone.

I do guitar repairs from my home and have a room set up sort of as a little shop. I buy lots of gear mentioned previously from Temu, and I can give you some of it. I get it for dirt cheap, and sometimes I give guitars and work to people in the community, so it really won't cost me much, maybe a few dollars, for the stuff on the list. Gotta pay it forward when we can.

I used to sell classical guitar strings and still have quite a bit. I have some strings that I could make you some custom sets out of. And I can probably send you a set of hard tension to try later, after you've been playing awhile. You would just need to reset the truss rod for the harder tension.

Also, if the Cort has a truss rod, it should come with an Allen Wrench for it. They are usually 4mm.

Let me know when you get the guitar and then send me a private message with your name, address and postal code, and I can send you that stuff.

Scott

I've made a quick comparison between the Yamaha C40 and the Cort AC100DX. I didn't focus too much on the sound since they should be at the same level. Some people say the AC100DX sounds majestic, while others feel the Yamaha has a warmer and bassier tone, with more soul in it. Well, they're both entry-level laminate guitars, so I don't expect a good sound from them. What do you think?

Asset 3.png

Also, I found a very rare comparison of their sound, though I doubt it's particularly representative:

I've made a quick comparison between the Yamaha C40 and the Cort AC100DX. I didn't focus too much on the sound since they should be at the same level. Some people say the AC100DX sounds majestic, while others feel the Yamaha has a warmer and bassier tone, with more soul in it. Well, they're both entry-level laminate guitars, so I don't expect a good sound from them. What do you think?

Also, I found a very rare comparison of their sound, though I doubt it's particularly representative:

They can both sound good if you do your part. I would go for the Cort personally myself.

They can both sound good if you do your part. I would go for the Cort personally myself.
Well then, I'll probably get the Cort. I almost chose the Cort earlier, but then someone pointed out the bolted bridge and that it can cause problems with the top and buzzing sound later, so I came back to the Yamaha. Well, I'm just overthinking some minor things.

Well then, I'll probably get the Cort. I almost chose the Cort earlier, but then someone pointed out the bolted bridge and that it can cause problems with the top and buzzing sound later, so I came back to the Yamaha. Well, I'm just overthinking some minor things.
I just watched a video of that guitar. The bridge didn't have to two dots on it indicating bolts underneath. AC100, right?

I just watched a video of that guitar. The bridge didn't have to two dots on it indicating bolts underneath. AC100, right?
The AC100 comes without a truss rod, while the AC100DX includes one. They've concealed the bolts:Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 01.29.45.png
Also, there's a video from a guitar workshop:

The AC100 comes without a truss rod, while the AC100DX includes one. They've concealed the bolts:View attachment 468
Also, there's a video from a guitar workshop:
Wow, I couldn't see that on the Video. If your not getting the one with the truss rod, perhaps you should get the Yamaha. Neither one is a bad guitar. I thought the Cort projected better, but the Yamaha was warmer sounding.

If you can get the Cort with the truss rod, that would be the one I would pick, as a beginner and a first guitar, the bolt on bridge has the advantage of easier repair and maintenance. If it ever comes loose you can hold the bolt inside the guitar and tighten it if need be rather than having to remove the bridge and reglue if the bridge lifts on the Yamaha.

The truss rod has the advantage of keeping the action the same if you change strings gauges or tensions.

Last edited:
Wow, I couldn't see that on the Video. If your not getting the one with the truss rod, perhaps you should get the Yamaha. Neither one is a bad guitar. I thought the Cort projected better, but the Yamaha was warmer sounding.

If you can get the Cort with the truss rod, that would be the one I would pick, as a beginner and a first guitar, the bolt on bridge has the advantage of easier repair and maintenance. If it ever comes loose you can hold the bolt inside the guitar and tighten it if need be rather than having to remove the bridge and reglue if the bridge lifts on the Yamaha.

The truss rod has the advantage of keeping the action the same if you change strings gauges or tensions.
Thanks for the advice. I've also heard the idea to use spring washers if the bolts come loose. The Cort then seems like an absolutely reasonable choice. By the way, is there any difference in sound depending on the coating? I mean, there are two versions of the Cort, one with a so-called 'open pore' mate finish with little varnish, and another with a glossy finish

Thanks for the advice. I've also heard the idea to use spring washers if the bolts come loose. The Cort then seems like an absolutely reasonable choice. By the way, is there any difference in sound depending on the coating? I mean, there are two versions of the Cort, one with a so-called 'open pore' mate finish with little varnish, and another with a glossy finish
I don’t think one would notice the difference bein that they are all laminate. Also one thing that I did notice about the Cort is that it has a scarf joint on the neck, and I didn’t notice one on the Yamaha.

Where the joint is on the Cort, the neck should be less likely to break off near the headstock if the guitar gets knocked over. And if it does break there, it’s an easier repair.

Get the one with the truss rod if you can.

I don’t think one would notice the difference bein that they are all laminate. Also one thing that I did notice about the Cort is that it has a scarf joint on the neck, and I didn’t notice one on the Yamaha.

Where the joint is on the Cort, the neck should be less likely to break off near the headstock if the guitar gets knocked over. And if it does break there, it’s an easier repair.

Get the one with the truss rod if you can.
Got it, I'll get the Cort then. You helped me a lot, thank you!

Back