Electric Guitar String Brands

I've been using Elixir (nanoweb) for about as long as they've been making them. For years it was 09-42 but the past couple of years I switched to 10-46.

This is reminding me I'm due for my 2x annual string change. :)

I get GHS, D'Addario, or Ernie Ball in those 12-packs, .09s across the board on all my electrics - it's just easier that way. I'll buy whichever brand I can get for the lowest price. I've done expensive fancy strings, and they can feel better and last a bit longer, but I'm restringing at least one guitar every couple of weeks and it just doesn't seem worth the extra cost. In fact I think all the fancy strings I've had were gifts; never bought a pack myself.

Hey guys, I usually use Ernie Ball or D'Addario, but also Use GHS Boomers. These are the three brands that I can usually get for between 3 and 5 dollars a set when buying a dozen or more sets.

I also use some of the more expensive Ernie Ball Strings like Cobalt and Paradigm.

The Cobalts are a good choice if you have a humbucker equipped guitars that gets mushy sounding with the low end through high gain, especially on the neck pickup. They really tighten the low end up, adding some punch to what was once flub.

Also, I have some guitars that get played only occasionally. On those, I will use the Paradigm sets. Ernie Ball guarantees them against breakage for 90 days, but breakage aside, they don't become dull on the guitar, just sitting in the stand for months.

I have one guitar, that I've had these on for over a year, and the strings show no signs of corrosion or deterioration. And still sound like new strings.

The ones I usually don't use are the Pure Nickel strings, of any brand, as they sound dull within a couple of weeks for me. The only guitar that gets them is my 79 Hardtail Strat. They sound glorious when new, and that guitar doesn't get used much.
I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's 9-46 on my Tokai Silverstar. I use the Titanium Slinky's 10-46 on my Squier Jaguar. I've had a few string breakages at the ball end on the plain strings. The titanium wrap round the ball end helps avoid that. I'd recommend them for any guitar with a tunomatic or Jazz/Mustang bridge. 🙂👍

What's your preference?

I mostly use Ernie Ball, sometime D'Addario.
Same. I like pure nickel on the Lester.

Edit: Martin strings on the D12-28. The drone G is a .010" instead of the usual .008" in most similar sets.

Last edited:
Almost exclusively D'Addario.
When they were tossing stuff at me like strings and, you know...income stuff, then there wasn't any almost.
But now that they expect me to actually pay for them...almost. exclusively.

I got tired of trying to remember the composition of flat sets I had to put together from singles because they didn't offer a set of flatwounds that these crippled fingers can handle.

Enter GHS ... they have a light set of flats that are pretty good... the texture is kind of weird but in the end it's how they sound that matters.

So Orchestral, round wounds and normal to heavy flats = D'Addario
Light flats = GHS

Back