Different string gauge per guitar

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
I recently changed the strings on my Les Paul to a set of 9-42's and I noticed it has a better "feel" to it? I was running some 9-46's on it as I do on the rest of my electrics, and for whatever reason the Les Paul just didn't have a good "feel" with those. I just so happened to have a set of 9-42's hanging around (I got them for free when I got the Les Paul a few months ago) and decided to try them. You might be saying "those are super light strings" and yeah, they are, but that's my preference. I don't like to fight my guitars and I have a relatively light touch. Does anyone else use different gauge strings for different guitars? I'm not sure if the scale length on the LP makes the set of 9-42's feel better, but it's strange because my SG is the same scale length (obviously) and the 9-46's feel great on it.

Yeah, I use different gauges on different guitars. Mostly depending on the scale length. Don't discount different brands and materials either. Some are easier to bend than others for their respective gauges

Yeah, I use different gauges on different guitars. Mostly depending on the scale length. Don't discount different brands and materials either. Some are easier to bend than others for their respective gauges
I only use Elixir strings. Regular untreated strings don't last at all when I use them, and I get really good mileage out of the Elixir strings so the price is worth it.

Yeah, I use different gauges on different guitars. Mostly depending on the scale length.

Same here,
mostly Ernie Ball Cobalts
#2715 (10-52) on the SemiHollows and the ES-175
#2720 (11-48) on SingleCuts and the DoubleCut
#2721 (10-46) on the Tele-shaped models, HH-Strat and the PRS-SE
#2722 (9-46) or #2723 (9-42) on the Strat shaped models

will try a set of D'addario ECG23 and ECG24 on the ES175

All four of my guitars are Gibson 24.75” scale length.
Different pickups: different formulas, but each are 0.010” - 0.046” generally EB’s these days.
Some cobalt flat wound, or Reg Slinky, or Classic (nickel wound) Slinky.
They feel very similar ( same setup), except my SG, which sticks out to the left a little.

I run 10s on everything except my SG, which is running 9s (because Sabbath). Interestingly, for me anyway, is that I've started to use other brands and really noticing the differences now. Before 'collecting', I never really had the chance to notice the difference between brands, but now I can put down one guitar with brand X and pick up another guitar with brand Y and compare. Of course, the guitars are different, too, but it's the most noticeable string comparison I've ever had.

While I believe that certain guitars and their setup tends to benefit from certain strings for the sake of simplicity and economics I use half size 9.5-.44 or 9.5-46 on all of mine. The only change is if I use pure nickels instead of nickel wound.

While I believe that certain guitars and their setup tends to benefit from certain strings for the sake of simplicity and economics I use half size 9.5-.44 or 9.5-46 on all of mine. The only change is if I use pure nickels instead of nickel wound.
It’s easy for me to pick and choose different strings and gauges as I do, or at least was doing, a lot of set ups and I usually have around 400 sets of strings in my bins at a time.

I routinely carry 8-38, 9-42, 9.5-44, 10-46, 11-48, 11-52, and 11-56 for electrics in Nickel plated steel, pure Nickel, Cobalt, Paradigm, NYXL, regular GHS and D’Addario, as well as MF’s Musician’s Gear Strings for freebee setups I do for disadvantaged kids from time to time for free. And that’s just for electric six string guitars.

I also stock a few different guages of Phosphor Bronze and 80/20 Bronze for steel string acoustics and have a bin with several types of strings for Classical and Flamenco guitars.

I also try to keep a set each of round wound 45-105 and a set of flat wound 45-105 bass string just in case. And I have a set of roundwound short scale bass strings that I haven’t had occasion to use in the last five years. I hardly ever see a bass in for a set up.

I hardly ever see a bass in for a set up.
A lot of bassists play with the most outrageous setups I've ever seen. When I was subbing in a rock trio a few years ago because their regular bassist was on probation and couldn't travel when he returned his Dad who was the guitarist/vocalist brought me his Squier PBass and asked me to set it up for him. The neck was so bowed it had about 3/8" relief at the 5th-7th frets. It was ridiculous. Don't know how he played it.

I remember back in HS the guy who was the bassist in "the other" band played a white '60s PBass with a pick. His action was so high I couldn't even play the damn thing yet he loved it. Same with their guitarist. He played a LP Jr with some really heavy gauge strings. I couldn't play it either. I play with a light touch so I like low action on both by guitars and my basses but I use much stiffer strings on my basses. I have to feel some "fight" from the strings when I play. They have more "bounce" to them as well and that suits my style.

mainly here is my formula

Gibson’s 10-46 or 9.5-44 depends on my mood

Fender 25.5 get 9-42

Fender 24” get 10-46

I do have a Fender Telecaster with 8-38s on it for a change. They’re fun. I tried 7-36 but they felt like wet spaghetti. I’ve also ran 11-52 on 24” jaguars. Not for me. You don’t know until you try. I’ve got a baritone I need to see what I can get for that.

Back