Can anybody recommend a high quality, good sounding looper?

3bolt79

Reaction score
I need to get a looper. The fact is, however, that I know nothing about them. Is there anything out there that’s really good with long recording times, and a non sterile sound that can be had for $300 or less?

I need to get a looper. The fact is, however, that I know nothing about them. Is there anything out there that’s really good with long recording times, and a non sterile sound that can be had for $300 or less?
Although I almost hate to promote tc electronic products any longer their Ditto Looper is a good piece of work and you can find tons of them used for far less than $300.

Although I almost hate to promote tc electronic products any longer their Ditto Looper is a good piece of work and you can find tons of them used for far less than $300.
Well, if I tried one, and liked it, that would be the first TC Electronic product I would have ever even liked.

I rarely use it (bc I’m on the internet too much 😂🤣), but I have a Pigtronix Infinity (an early one) that seems pretty good to me…with no basis for comparison.

The Basic Ditto. I perform in a duo with 2 of them. Simple and reliable. Loopers take some practice for live playing. Although for jamming at home they are great and easy.
I bought two new Boss loopers and hated them. Returned immediately and kept my Dittos.
I also have a Digitech Jam Man I got in a trade but it ain't a Ditto!

Well, if I tried one, and liked it, that would be the first TC Electronic product I would have ever even liked.
As I posted in another thread there are some products that were designed and produced pre-Behringer that are very good. The Looper is one of them. I've owned three and still have a mini Looper. There are some other products that are well worth it too but the list is shorter now.

I believe each and every product line has it's all stars, it's mediocrity, and it's dog's that howl at the moon. We just need to be smart buyers.

Do you want it to save the loop even after it’s powered off? If so, I highly recommend this:

1722298902009.jpeg

So many of them do NOT save the loop when they’re powered off.

Yes, I do want to save it. Thanks. I like MXR's pedals. I will check that out.
So many of them do NOT save the loop when they’re powered off.
The basic Ditto saves your last loop when powered off, unplugged etc. So does my Jam Man. They do not have a cache of saved data though. That MXR looks interesting. So the "stop" is like a kill switch? What does the "speed" indicate?

I use my 2 Dittos live, each with it's own kill switch. You really need that. With two I can do a solo and intro or start over if I hit the start timing bad etc.
LooperBOard.jpg

"Just plug in, power up, and start recording an unlimited number of layers—up to 6 minutes long—that will be stored even when the pedal is off. A super convenient LED gives you a flashing 4 count to the beginning of the loop so you can keep your overdubs tight. Loops can be stopped and started in an instant, and your most recent layer can be undone just as fast. Run effects to your heart's content—with storage sample rates up to 88.2kHz, so this little box will handle even high-gain distortion with ease. To keep your pre-loop signal intact, the MXR team also included an analog through-path. On top of that, the Clone Looper Pedal can be set for either buffered bypass or true bypass switching to accommodate your tone and signal needs."

"The Clone Looper Pedal also comes packed with options for sonic explorers, from changing up the speed of your loop—to double-speed (3 minutes of recording time) or half-speed (12 minutes)—to reversing it entirely. Connecting an MXR Tap Tempo Switch to the CTR jack allows you to control all of these functions externally. The EXP jack provides further external control options when you connect a DVP volume pedal to adjust the loop's output level or an MXR Tap Tempo Switch to engage Play Loop Once mode, which allows you to pull off smooth live performances and re-trigger your loop over and over again for DJ-style stutter effects."

I
This was asked on Phil McKnight’s podcast last week. His immediate response was the TC Electronic Ditto, and then the Boss RC-1.

I have the single-button Ditto and like it, but I’ve never used another one, so I can’t compare it to anything. It’s a handy practice tool.

I

This was asked on Phil McKnight’s podcast last week. His immediate response was the TC Electronic Ditto, and then the Boss RC-1.

I have the single-button Ditto and like it, but I’ve never used another one, so I can’t compare it to anything. It’s a handy practice tool.
I see boss has some really cool ones with several buttons, that you can store several hours of loops on and store several preset recordings and select them. The one that interests me is about 500 bucks, so maybe I wasn't being realistic about only spending $300.00.

I see boss has some really cool ones with several buttons, that you can store several hours of loops on and store several preset recordings and select them. The one that interests me is about 500 bucks, so maybe I wasn't being realistic about only spending $300.00.
Well, the question is, what do you want to do with it?

Back