Any Love for SG’s or SG style guitars? If ya got ‘em show ‘em!

3bolt79

Reaction score
This SG is probably my favorite guitar that Gibson has produced. Right now in their American production, there are two main models.

They have the ‘61, which has the smaller, lower neck joint and small, half pick guard and the Standard with the higher neck joint and the large, full pick guard.

I prefer the Standard because it doesn’t feel as left shifted when wearing it on a strap. I also prefer the Grover tuners, the higher neck joint and the fatter neck of the Standard.

To me, the Standard has everything I need, and nothing that I don’t. The SG has been in continuous production since its introduction in 1961, and is Gibson’s best selling electric guitar model. I was shocked to find out that little tidbit.

I have two Gibson SG Standards, and I have an Epiphone Tony Iommi Monkey SG Special.

The Monkey SG is serious bang for the buck. They are being blown out everywhere for $799 new with case. It has the best feeling neck out of any of the SG’s I’ve tried or owned. It has a somewhat thick C profile neck.

The SG Standard seems to be more bang for the buck than a Les Paul Standard and costs a little more than 1/3 less new.

Here’s some pics of mine…IMG_0700.jpegIMG_0780.jpeg

My first guitar was an Epiphone G-310 SG in black...I've had numerous SGs over the years but have never hung onto any of them...should try one again...that monkey looks like it could be a good choice...

SG was my first guitar love.

'84 (blue) and '07 (red) Gibson SG Specials. Got the blue one new, it was my main guitar for around 20 years. Only thing stock is the body and neck. Red one is stock; bought it because I wanted a pristine one after all the stuff I did to my '84 (at one point it had a Kahler trem).

KLQBALr.jpg
7NDsa1Z.jpg

I've never picked up an Epiphone SG that had a neck that felt anything like one of my Gibsons. Try a Gibson when you're in a shop and see what you think.
Ha...I don't get to guitar stores much...the small town I live near has no music store...2.5 hours to the nearest place...I don't get to "try" before I buy these days...someday...perhaps...

I traded a Squier P bass for my SG a few years ago and it was the best trade I ever made! Mine is an Epiphone SG Pro and I love it. It's by far the most comfortable guitar to sit down and play for extended periods.
View attachment 320
I might buy my son one of those. He is having to store and play his guitars in a garage for the foreseeable future. If it gets damaged it's not as big of a loss compared to the Gibson I was going to give him.

It should be fine as long as he doesn't move it back and forth between the house and the garage. I might get him the Epi SG Standard, or for just a little more, the SG Monkey with case. I'd be looking at $650 or so by the time I added a case anyway, so what's another $150?

I might buy my son one of those. He is having to store and play his guitars in a garage for the foreseeable future. If it gets damaged it's not as big of a loss compared to the Gibson I was going to give him.

It should be fine as long as he doesn't move it back and forth between the house and the garage. I might get him the Epi SG Standard, or for just a little more, the SG Monkey with case. I'd be looking at $650 or so by the time I added a case anyway, so what's another $150?
Why not buy used ? There are thousands available.

I hade several Epiphone in different models, two Gibson. Only one stayed and has not been surpassed, a 2004 Epi Vintage G400.
Super-Sonic + SG.jpg

Once I got that red one up here, I looked for others of the same model to see if I could find better. The Cherry Red I kept got its finish polished, they come with a satin finish.13-.jpg

05.jpg

A 2011 Epiphone '61 SG Reissue
02-neige_Snapseed.jpg

Then 2 Gibson that had a short stay.

A 2019 Tribute
IMG-7940_tonemapped+.jpg

And a 2007 Special Faded
IMG_8026_tonemapped.jpg

I had an Epiphone SG (center left), but the neck was too wide for me. I gave it and the Riviera Custom P93 (center right…also too wide a neck) to my son-in-law when he completed his doctoral…didn’t want him to get too stuffy ;). He’s 6’6”…so a good fit.
IMG_6935.jpeg

They are great guitars for sure! They have the coil splitting feature as well which makes them more versatile. You can get some pretty spanky tones in single coil mode.

Back