All Things Funny...

This is so true. My former step daughter graduated from highschool and can't even do simple math or spell common, basic words. The teachers don't give ABCD and F grades anymore. They just mark Satisfactory or not satisfactory, and that's rarely.

Kids in china are doing Algebra at age 8. In the not so distant future, there won't be enough people that are smart enough to do anything gainful because they won't be able to read simple instructions or divide 16 by 8.

When I was growing up, if you got an F, you repeated until you got a passing grade. They don't give F's anymore. And the gifted students are lumped in with the ones who aren't as smart or able and aren't as challenged as perhaps they should be.

When I was in high school I myself, and a few other students at my school were spending part of our school day taking college courses. They education system in my state really sucks for young people. If you want your kids to be challenged, you have to send them to private schools. And forget about home schooling them. Most parents aren't qualified or have the time to do it.

My grandson goes to a private school. My daughter can't even help him with his sixth grade homework. I think that is part of the reason that my grandson lives full time with his dad now. His dad has a bachelor's and is wicked smart. My daughter is intellectually deficient due to an anoxic brain injury during birth.
Here in Canada it isn't any different than you guys South of us. I graduated high school 15 years ago and so much has changed in a short amount of time. We aren't preparing kids for anything out in the real world. The real world is a cruel, harsh place that doesn't care if your feelings get hurt because you can't perform a job well. Those students that can't answer the most basic questions are going to be doctors, lawyers, and well, everything else! Can you imagine having to go for a life changing surgery and having a doctor that doesn't even know that Africa isn't a country lol? Also, cell phones and social media play a big role in the shortening of attention spans, which harms the kids abilities to concentrate on anything significant.

uatVsKL.gif

Back