Wraparound bridges ... let's start over and stay focused.

BGood

Reaction score
https://forum.geartalk.com/threads/wraparound.164/#post-1957

Who thinks a wraparound bridge guitar resonates differently than one with a Tune-O-Matic (2 part bridge system) ?

I don't know about that, but I once put a wraparound with adjusting saddles in place of a defective lightning bolt wraparound and felt I was missing something tone wise. I bought a new lightning bolt, put it on and regain what was missing.

What was missing ?

As Peter Gabriel would say.
I don't remember, I don't recall
I got no memory of anything at all

Who thinks a wraparound bridge guitar resonates differently than one with a Tune-O-Matic (2 part bridge system) ?

I don't know about that, but I once put a wraparound with adjusting saddles in place of a defective lightning bolt wraparound and felt I was missing something tone wise. I bought a new lightning bolt, put it on and regain what was missing.

What was missing ?

When reading anything I post it will usually allow for the fact that I could be wrong. That's why I post.

To reiterate: I generally dismiss claims that small differences make an audible difference. Despite my feelings that most changes don't audibly change anything, I now have 3 Epi Jr and to my obviously fallible ear, they all sound less bright, and seemingly, more midrange focused. I am interested whether others hear the same thing. My little Epis are all humbucker, not p90 so very similar to any LP type with one pickup removed.

Also, if you move syllables around, Castodader becomes Dadocaster.

At one point, I had an Epi LP special 2- separate stop bar tailpiece, and tuna-maniac bridge, and my wife had an Epi LP special- with a wraparound bridge/tailpiece combo, both were flat slab bodied, bolt neck, with the standard cheapy humbuckers they put in those, and there wasn't much difference in tone between those two.

Both of them were darker and duller sounding than her tradition LP copy- also a bolt neck, but with the carved maple top.

I think the construction of the guitar itself affected the tone more than the hardware, as both the bolt-neck LP's were flat slabs of mahogany, and the tradition had the carved maple cap. Mahogany is a little less dense than maple, and will absorb more high frequencies, and adding a maple top will allow more highs to come out, so that may be the difference. ( in addition to slightly better pickups, of course.)

That said, Leslie West's , and Martin Barre's LP Jr. tones are some of my favorite guitar tones ever.

At one point, I had an Epi LP special 2- separate stop bar tailpiece, and tuna-maniac bridge, and my wife had an Epi LP special- with a wraparound bridge/tailpiece combo, both were flat slab bodied, bolt neck, with the standard cheapy humbuckers they put in those, and there wasn't much difference in tone between those two.

Both of them were darker and duller sounding than her tradition LP copy- also a bolt neck, but with the carved maple top.

I think the construction of the guitar itself affected the tone more than the hardware, as both the bolt-neck LP's were flat slabs of mahogany, and the tradition had the carved maple cap. Mahogany is a little less dense than maple, and will absorb more high frequencies, and adding a maple top will allow more highs to come out, so that may be the difference. ( in addition to slightly better pickups, of course.)

That said, Leslie West's , and Martin Barre's LP Jr. tones are some of my favorite guitar tones ever.
That all sounds reasonable and possibly correct. I don't play my LP types with glued in neck very much. Mind you, I am not complaining at all, I like the tone of the Jrs. I play with a lot of gain due to what I am playing so I like the little bit more mid focused sound.

Most of us don't have enough guitars to hit a good sample size.......

That all sounds reasonable and possibly correct. I don't play my LP types with glued in neck very much. Mind you, I am not complaining at all, I like the tone of the Jrs. I play with a lot of gain due to what I am playing so I like the little bit more mid focused sound.

Most of us don't have enough guitars to hit a good sample size.......
Yeah, I got lucky having had the two epi's and the other lp at the same time ( I knew it would come in handy some day, LOL!) We had close to 40 guitars between us at one time, we've since whittled it down to around 25

What was missing ?

The lightning bolts. 🤷‍♂️

I finally have a guitar with that bridge. Now I can join in and contribute all I know about it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________. There ya' go.

Back