What is the point to a top shelf Epiphone?

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
As per the title, what is the purpose of a top shelf Epiphone? Why not just make lower end Gibson's instead? Some of these prices are astronomical for a made in China Gibson "budget" brand. Keep in mind, these prices are in Canadian dollars, as that is where I'm located.
I understand that the majority of these that I featured are artist models, but the two most expensive are not. Even artist models are priced out of reach for the fans which is sad.
Screenshot 2024-08-20 4.16.13 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 4.16.22 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 4.16.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Without going off about unchecked rampant capitalism, it would seem to me that they are going for a middle ground, someone who can't quite justify the expense of a "real" Gibson, but thinks their credit can handle more than a "cheap" Epiphone. My wife's cousin is a guy who swears you cannot find a good guitar for under $1000, but he can't justify buying a top-of-the-line Gibby. I think he's the target audience for these things.

🤷‍♂️ I don’t know other than profits as @BGood already pointed out.

I had two really nice Epiphones a few years ago, but gifted them bc the necks (consistent on both guitars) just didn’t fit/feel right to me.

Since I was buying my guitars online at the time (pandemonium), I ended up sticking with manufacturers supplying necks fitting my preference. I haven’t been real interested in Epi’s since…probably in my head🤪.

Without going off about unchecked rampant capitalism, it would seem to me that they are going for a middle ground, someone who can't quite justify the expense of a "real" Gibson, but thinks their credit can handle more than a "cheap" Epiphone. My wife's cousin is a guy who swears you cannot find a good guitar for under $1000, but he can't justify buying a top-of-the-line Gibby. I think he's the target audience for these things.
That's a sad viewpoint because you can actually find some really good guitars under 1k

what is the purpose of a top shelf Epiphone?

To make lots of money.....
selling a $/€ 500 asian made guitar with $/€ 200 US made pickups for $/€ 1300-1500 works great for them
the models mostly sell really fast
they will never make this profit with any 'cheap' Gibson

🤷‍♂️ I don’t know other than profits as @BGood already pointed out.

I had two really nice Epiphones a few years ago, but gifted them bc the necks (consistent on both guitars) just didn’t fit/feel right to me.

Since I was buying my guitars online at the time (pandemonium), I ended up sticking with manufacturers supplying necks fitting my preference. I haven’t been real interested in Epi’s since…probably in my head🤪.
What is that neck fitting your preferences ?

It's a marketing change, maybe 20 years from now they're thinking people will think of Epiphone as something other than just Gibson's budget brand. For Boomers and Gen X though I doubt we're ever going to get past that.

Having said that I'd rather have a budget Gibson than a decked out Epiphone. In fact I already have four budget Gibsons (two SG Specials and two LP Tributes). As much as I like the quality of the newer Epiphones, they aren't going to retain their monetary value like a Gibson on the used market.

It's a marketing change, maybe 20 years from now they're thinking people will think of Epiphone as something other than just Gibson's budget brand. For Boomers and Gen X though I doubt we're ever going to get past that.

Having said that I'd rather have a budget Gibson than a decked out Epiphone. In fact I already have four budget Gibsons (two SG Specials and two LP Tributes). As much as I like the quality of the newer Epiphones, they aren't going to retain their monetary value like a Gibson on the used market.
It's too bad they discontinued the Tribute line. They were really nice for the price and had nothing crazy, just a pure Rock machine (SG and LP). None of that flippy flappy coil tappy stuff!

I like a modern C. The two Epi’s I had were a wider D.
Then you need to look for the ones that have that kind of neck.
- 2010 LP Trad Pro, LP Jr 57 Reissue, 2019 and later LP Special, LP 50's, LP 59, LP Jr, and I'm sure there are others I don't remember for the moment.

Then you need to look for the ones that have that kind of neck.
- 2010 LP Trad Pro, LP Jr 57 Reissue, 2019 and later LP Special, LP 50's, LP 59, LP Jr, and I'm sure there are others I don't remember for the moment.
Aha! Great advice!

That's a sad viewpoint because you can actually find some really good guitars under 1k
Definitely. I've never paid more than $600 for any guitar, with the majority of mine being around $300 although I usually buy used. There are amazing guitars new, all over the place for $200 or so, if you know what to look for and where to look for it.

I'll give Gibson credit for differentiating the lines with two brand names.

Fender on the other hand, too many models from too many factories imwo. There is the Squire...

I'm a stubborn buy made in USA sort. A fool and their money are soon parted?

The SG Monkey Epi I just gave my son was originally 1K US but I got it for $800.00. I let him pick between it and my Gibson SG Standard. He liked the Epiphone better. He could have picked either.

Gretsch also makes some really great models in their Electromatic series. I have a hollow body that was under $800 and I gave him my 5232T Double Jet which I stole at $400.

To make lots of money.....
selling a $/€ 500 asian made guitar with $/€ 200 US made pickups for $/€ 1300-1500 works great for them
the models mostly sell really fast
they will never make this profit with any 'cheap' Gibson
This is likely the core reason they do it.

I like a modern C. The two Epi’s I had were a wider D.
The Greeny I bought last year has a thick C shaped neck. I could have bought the Gibson version for more than twice the price, but the Epiphone had some differences that I liked better. The fact that it was less than half the cost was just a bonus.

Back