Unboxing Original Epiphone ProBuckers

RWilke

Reaction score
Going through a history of being dissatisfied with the Alnico Classic Pro Classic Pro™ Humbuckers which came with my Epiphone Les Paul Classic, especially with the pickup in the neck position sounding too muddy, and having gone through what seemed like zillions of messages across all boards, I decided to bite the bullet and order a set of the original Epiphone ProBuckers 2 and 3 set straight from the manufacturer. Ordered them as nickels from a Gibson distributor situated in the Netherlands, at €159 including VAT and shipping on Monday, and they just arrived today already. Quite handsome.

They came in a neat little plastic box shown below. Everything inside the box looks perfectly up to snuff. Including the quick connector cables tied snugly around the backsides of the pickups.

I will provide more pictures of this as I go along. This far, I consider myself a happy camper right now.

20240904_211141_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Going through a history of being dissatisfied with the Classic Pro Buckers which came with my Epiphone Les Paul Classic, especially with the pickup in the neck position sounding too muddy, and having gone through what seemed like zillions of messages across all boards, I decided to bite the bullet and order a set of the original Epiphone ProBuckers 2 and 3 set straight from the manufacturer. Ordered them as nickels from a Gibson distributor situated in the Netherlands, at €159 including VAT and shipping on Monday, and they just arrived today already. Quite handsome.

They came in a neat little plastic box shown below. Everything inside the box looks perfectly up to snuff. Including the quick connector cables tied snugly around the backsides of the pickups.

I will provide more pictures of this as I go along. This far, I consider myself a happy camper right now.

View attachment 828
What is a Classic Pro Bucker ? You must mean Alnico Classic ?

What is a Classic Pro Bucker ? You must mean Alnico Classic ?
According to the Epiphone page, my Les Paul came with Alnico Classic Pro™ Humbuckers. Sorry for addressing them incorrectly previously, and probably causing some kind of confusion. I am still having a hard time getting adjusted to the correct nomenclature. Many thanks for pointing out my snafu, I have also updated my initial post accordingly.

Last edited:
Hey, you should really string up with a set of EB Cobalts after you get the new pups in. They are glorious with distortion and make for a tighter bass response.

Today, I finished installing the Epiphone ProBuckers thus replacing the Alnico Classic Pro. Trying hard to avoid getting into cognitive dissonance reduction, but I can probably say that they really don't make a world of a difference, but they are obviously better in some ways in terms of clear tone, particularly on the bass side, and slightly more "defined" across the board.

On the downside, I encountered a few "mechanical" issues with the pickup rings, the springs and the screws, or the entire combination of them, not fitting perfectly, which will make me redo them from the get go next.

Back