Tuner bushings lifting out slightly

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
I installed a set of Grover tuners on my acoustic a while ago, and the bushings don't fit the tightest which is making them lift out ever so slightly when tuned to pitch. Would it be possible to add some aluminium tape to the bushings and seat them back into the peg holes? It's like mm's off from fitting tight without anything to help seat them in better.

Any suggestions are helpful. The Grovers are meant for a 10mm hole but I feel like the holes on my guitar are around 10.8mm.

I would dab the walls of the holes with wood glue, put the bushings back in, wait half a day before reinserting tuners and tuning.
I have some aluminium tape on order, if that doesn't work I will try the glue method. Thanks for the help!

I would dab the walls of the holes with wood glue, put the bushings back in, wait half a day before reinserting tuners and tuning.
I found a recommendation online to use water thin super glue to harden the wood that holds in the inserts for a wraparound bridge/tailpiece and it worked very well. It hardens the wood without building up too much and making the hole smaller.

Teflon tape?

I'm afraid the tape will just bundle up as you push the bushing down. Don't ask me how I know ;)

... aluminium ... are you French ?
Aluminium is more globally correct. That is how I type it out. Cannot recall anyone calling me out on it. I still speak aluminum. Working on that...

Last edited:
I thought US lingo had the "i" removed like they put a "z" everywhere an "s" would suffice, like in realized or socialized.

So ?
I wrapped the bushings in the aluminum tape I had first to see if it would work, and it did! They bushings stay in tight and the tape didn't bunch up going in. But, the next time I change the strings, I will add some glue to ensure they stay for good.

I just used a dot of super glue on mine and it holds them in. I had the same problem. I tried building up the walls of the holes with super glue and then decided to just try and glue it in on the 2nd hole lol. That was much easier and quicker.

This was on a LP-style guitar with Gotoh tuners. I could have either done that or bought the oversized, 10.5mm bushings from Stewmac and reamed the holes out more. So I went for the super glue knowing that if it didn't work, I could just ream tie holes for the oversized bushings from Stewmac.

Back