Pedal preamp/DI stage sound

sztriki

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just returned to playing after a hiatus during which I sold most of my gear. I'm looking into getting an amp, I always was a 4x12 plus valve head guy, but my car is a two seater roadster and boot space is not one of its strongest points. I've done a lot of reading and listening to these preamp pedals that go DI, but I've never used this layout nor do I know anyone who did.
My question is to those who moved to this setup (or even something like a Helix that goes to the PA) for live gigs. How does it affect the overall soundscape if you take the 4x12 out of the equation? Obviously even if it's miked up to go to the PA a stack is an additional sound source, can also act as a monitor, anything to be mindful of when using a full DI/PA solution when playing live? Talking mostly pub/club sized gigs, I can certainly see that it works with large venues with a robust PA.
Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.

Wish I could be of more help here but I have never worked without a backline so I'm not the right guy to advise. Stick around though and others who have had experience with this type of setup will no doubt chime in.

Try something Like a Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 1x12 combo or Mark V 25 1x10 combo amp. You can still run direct to a PA from it, you have your speaker for you to hear, and they are small.

Back