Ground Hog Day in Florida.

BGood

Reaction score
Milton has just a few hours ago hit the warm water of the gulf and is already upgraded to a category 5 hurricane. They've been talking about having to create a category 6 if they see stronger winds than 250 km/h. Will this be it ?

Milton has just a few hours ago hit the warm water of the gulf and is already upgraded to a category 5 hurricane. They've been talking about having to create a category 6 if they see stronger winds than 250 km/h. Will this be it ?
No category 6 just yet. Perhaps one day in the future.

I don't think Milton will get much stronger as it makes some contact with the Yucatán peninsula. Gulf waters are in the low 80s closer to FL, plenty to keep the storm fueled.

Some useful links:

No category 6 just yet. Perhaps one day in the future.

I don't think Milton will get much stronger as it makes some contact with the Yucatán peninsula. Gulf waters are in the low 80s closer to FL, plenty to keep the storm fueled.

Some useful links:

Doesn't seem to go inland on the peninsula, so it might not weaken any.

1728332697418.png

My uncle is in the ICU in Florida. He lives in Orlando, but they moved him to another hospital. I’m not sure what city. If they lose power he’s screwed. He’s on a Ventilator.

You were right, "down" to 155 mph for now.
I've been a hurricane geek since I was a kid. Cooler water knocks 'em down a bit, though the map indicates above normal temps right up to the coast. I thought it was cooler NE... I'd think it may not weaken much prior to landfall based on that.

Is still most impressive at 160 mph, 11 pm EDT update...

1728443426075.png

I'm always amazed at how it looks like boiling, just like when I make jam.

We tend to see the foot of a tornado funnel as a pillar that tramples the ground, but it's the other way around. Same with a hurricane. We clearly see the upward bursting of the dense humidity sucked up from the ocean.

I'm always amazed at how it looks like boiling, just like when I make jam.

We tend to see the foot of a tornado funnel as a pillar that tramples the ground, but it's the other way around. Same with a hurricane. We clearly see the upward bursting of the dense humidity sucked up from the ocean.
The temperature of the ocean is often measurably cooler in the immediate wake of a hurricane.

I'm skeptical of the straps for securing a roof. I understand the desire to try anything. The closest to a hurricane I have been in was the passage of what was left of Ida.

Ida_1.png

The eye of Dorian passed right over my head in Îles de la Madeleine. between midnight and 2AM, the only sleep I had that night. Before and after the stillness of the eye was like having a 747 revving its jets in my yard. Let's say that I am exposed to the elements :) in that small yellow and blue house.

Mes constructions.jpg

Back