Going up a gauge

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
I recently changed the string gauge on my acoustic from 11-52 to 12-53 and I'm happy I did. At first it was a little harder to play but over the past few days they feel no different than the custom lights. They have much more bass to them and aren't as brash sounding (I use 80/20's primarily) and makes my guitar sound way more balanced with the heavier gauge.

Acoustics are usually designed with a narrow range of string gauges in mind. What they shipped with is a good indicator of what to use. Some makers specify what gauge strings to use.

Too light a gauge and there is not enough tension to properly drive the top to vibrate as intended. Think of a drumhead not fully tensioned.

I'd go no lower than 12-53 on a Dreadnought. The HD-28 I have came with 13-56 medium and that is what I have always used.

I like the heavier gauge on my hollowbodies. Prolly in my head, but I think it makes the top vibrate more.
Yep.

On my Les Pauls I use 11s, for all the same reasons stated above. They sound fuller, have more sustain, and just sound... BIG.

I got used to the added tension in about a month, now I don't even notice it anymore. I played a friend of mine's guitar with 9s on it, and really had to adjust my playing! I forgot what a light touch you need with lighter strings!

I preferred the voice of what I thought to be a 'heavier' gauge throughout my performance career, 11's on planks and 12's on boxes. However injury and the ensuing arthritis didn't care, thus over the years I gradually stepped down until arriving at 9's and 10's respectively, before giving up on "playing" stringed instruments altogether (I poke at them periodically but that doesn't qualify as actually playing).

I thought it strange at first that my preference for medium tension classical instrument strings conflicted with that for electric guitar gauges until I encountered a strat strung with 14's.

It was there that I realized 11's and 12's were in fact 'medium' too and thus accepted that all was right with the world.

On my Les Pauls I use 11s, for all the same reasons stated above. They sound fuller, have more sustain, and just sound... BIG.

I got used to the added tension in about a month, now I don't even notice it anymore. I played a friend of mine's guitar with 9s on it, and really had to adjust my playing! I forgot what a light touch you need with lighter strings!
I like 9's on my electrics. I don't like working harder than I have to especially with fast bend runs. We all have our own preferences!

Back