But It Followed Me Home, Can I Keep It.....

soulman

Reaction score
OK, it didn't follow me home. I had to pick it up.....and pay for it.

I've been wanting a Baja Tele for as long as I can remember which with my memory these days could be as recent as yesterday. It's the closest Fender has ever come in offering a production line guitar that would rival the CS Nocaster I once had with a very similar soft "V" neck profile. The Custom Shop designed it but they chose to build them in Ensenada rather than Fullerton therefore the name Baja Telecaster. Much like my Robt Cray Strat it's about the highest level of features and quality one can expect from any MIM model which IME isn't all that different from any US build that would cost about twice as much sans a true CS build.

In addition to that neck profile I love it has a Broadcaster bridge pickup and a Twisted Tele neck pickup. They're very much like the original 1950 Telecaster pickups a bit higher in output than the CS Nocaster pickups with a stronger mid range and less icy twang. The neck pickup is very clean and almost Strat like which is what is needed when the neck is soloed or both pickups are combined in series which with 4-way switching the Baja has. There's also a switch that will put the pickups out of phase with each other to create a more Strat like tonality. It'll be a nice compliment to my other Tele which has Bill & Becky Lawrence/Wilde Micro-Coils.

baja.jpg

baja1.jpg

Very nice, and compensated saddles too.
I believe those were added after the fact. I don't think the stock Baja has them. Were they not there I would've added them myself.

No matter how many others I've added for the sake of variety a great playing Telecaster is always "home" for me. I just seem to play better on one. Now I'm back to two Teles and my G&L ASAT Spc. If I sold all of the rest I'd probably still keep these three.

Back