Adjusting the truss rod under string tension or not

Sure, neck relief should always be judged when tuned to pitch, and with the guitar in playing position. My question is, should the truss rod nut be turned under string tension or without, specifically when turning clockwise. I may be overthinking things, and I have done this without taking care of the string tension, but it just occurred to me that this may have an impact.

Last edited:
I usually loosen the D & G strings and move them out of their slots for better access with an allen key. So far, so good.

((So far…so good. Aside. A man jumped off a 60 story building. As he passed a window washer at floor 33, he yelled “so far, so good!”))

Good morning…more coffee.

Ha, this is exactly how I do it also, I mean loosening and removing the D and G strings for accessibility of the truss rod nut, not talking to window washers while jumping off a 60 story building.

Always under tension. Unless it’s a new set up. I will get the neck totally straight without the strings on and then see where the string tension takes the neck as far as relief.

Oddly enough, I've heard multiple people say you shouldn't adjust it at all under string tension. I've never followed that advice but I continue to come across it now & then.

Back