Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phosphor Bronze

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I'm torn between both

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

GrandmaShreds

Reaction score
I find myself caught in between these two. I love the bright/snappy tone of 80/20 but I also like the more mellow/focused tone of Phosphor Bronze. I feel like they each serve a different purpose. My acoustic has an Adi top and the 80/20 can be a bit brash when they are new, but they calm down after a bit of play. The PB gives my guitar a much "easier on the ears" tone which I think is better for playing alone with just vocals. I would say that in conclusion if I were to find myself in a bluegrass outfit one day, 80/20 would be my choice and when it's just me and my guitar, PB is what I'll go with to accompany my voice.

What do you guys think?

The brilliance of 80/20 is great for maybe a week and then they just die. Phosphor bronze is not as bright initially, but maintain a great sound much longer. D'Addario invented phosphor bronze in the early 70s. Every other maker quickly followed suit for good reason.

I've tried 80/20 on my six and twelve string guitars with the same result.

I've settled on D'Addario EJ17 for the six and Martin for the twelve - both phosphor bronze. I mainly use Martin as the G drone string is a .010" whereas most other sets use a .008" I want to hear that little G - the 8 is too thin imwo.

FYI - John Pearse strings are the worst I have tried in terms of longevity. They use a .010" for the drone G.

I use 80/20 for finger style mostly, but have to change them every other week. Mostly I use Phosphor Bronze. They aren’t as good for finger style for me, but good for longer. My 12 gets phosphor bronze.

The brilliance of 80/20 is great for maybe a week and then they just die. Phosphor bronze is not as bright initially, but maintain a great sound much longer. D'Addario invented phosphor bronze in the early 70s. Every other maker quickly followed suit for good reason.

I've tried 80/20 on my six and twelve string guitars with the same result.

I've settled on D'Addario EJ17 for the six and Martin for the twelve - both phosphor bronze. I mainly use Martin as the G drone string is a .010" whereas most other sets use a .008" I want to hear that little G - the 8 is too thin imwo.

FYI - John Pearse strings are the worst I have tried in terms of longevity. They use a .010" for the drone G.
Elixir 80/20 seems to last a while in terms of tone, in my experience anyways. I just put PB on my guitar after having 80/20 on it for the past couple months and I noticed a huge difference in tone right away.

Also, Ernie Ball Earthwood strings are the worst in my experience. They sound good for about an hour then they go completely dead and flat not to mention they corrode just from looking at them lol.

I use 80/20 for finger style mostly, but have to change them every other week. Mostly I use Phosphor Bronze. They aren’t as good for finger style for me, but good for longer. My 12 gets phosphor bronze.
Ever try Elixir strings on your acoustic? They last a crazy long time.

I quite dislike Elixir or any coated strings.

I have tried and used Martin Lifespan chemically treated strings on the twelve. Wish they made their strings in the USA. Hmmmm.gif

Elixir 80/20 seems to last a while in terms of tone, in my experience anyways. I just put PB on my guitar after having 80/20 on it for the past couple months and I noticed a huge difference in tone right away.

Also, Ernie Ball Earthwood strings are the worst in my experience. They sound good for about an hour then they go completely dead and flat not to mention they corrode just from looking at them lol.
I've never tried Earthwoods. No reason, probably happy with D'Addario.

I use the Earthwood medium light sometimes. I use the Gibson strings (D’Addario made) phosphors on my 12. I will also use Martin Marquis when I find them cheap.
Mildly curious - what gauge sets do you use on your twelve?

Never tried the Marquis. Just looked them up - their silk and steel, eh? Do not think I'd like pre-deadened strings.

Last edited:
Mildly curious - what gauge sets do you use on your twelve?

Never tried the Marquis. Just looked them up - their silk and steel, eh? Do not think I'd like pre-deadened strings.
I think it’s only the ends by the ball ends that are silk. They were just normal strings otherwise. I haven’t used them in a long time. I got them for 3 bucks a set.

Last edited:
I think it’s only the ends by the ball ends that are silk. They were just normal strings otherwise. I haven’t used them in a long time. I got them for 3 bucks a set.
They are. That bit of silk will deaden the mechanical coupling to the pins, bridge plate and bridge. It does affect tone.

Not unlike different bridge pin material modifies tone. I installed bone bridge pins on both of my acoustics.

I've bought from both makers, both excellent:

Back